Pinterest

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Quilting Time

Each blog group is issuing challenges and one by one I'm trying to catch up. Fortunately, this is the first challenge for the Papertrey Princesses so I think I can call that 'caught up' now. 
Diane issued a paper piecing challenge to us and I chose one of the easiest sets to work out paper piecing, Quilter's Sampler. It almost feels like cheating. Actually though, once I had my central image done I had trouble deciding just what to do with it next. Then I had need of a particular style card for a friend of mine. It always makes it easier when you have someone specific in mind when creating, don't you think? 
The saying, the black thread in the buttons, the black backdrop for the quilted image and the tiny black butterfly all are meant to convey sympathy for someone's loss. I learned recently from the loss of my own father that sympathy cards mean as much in any color as long as you send them. Just the fact that people reach out to send a card means so much. So I'm trying not to make them quite so dark as formerly, but with a bit of a better balance. I popped up the quilt on dimensionals after cutting out the inverted scallop shape on the white-toned Euphoria cardstock and laid the black underneath, so it has a black 'shadow.' Then I could use the interior of the Euphoria piece as the square underneath the quilt blocks. Thanks for looking.
Stamps: SU Linen BG, Papertrey Ink Quilter's Sampler
Ink: SU black, Versamark Dazzle Frost
Cardstock: SU purple, black, Papertrey white, Basic Grey Euphoria collection
Other: Martha Stewart butterfly punch, Black Diamond stickles (on butterfly wings), SU vintage buttons, Lasting Impressions "all sorts of things' matte finish buttons in Boardwalk Blue and Raspberry, black thread, Spellbinders nestabilities inverted scallop square, 3/4" square punch. 

20 comments:

IamDerby said...

This turned out amazing! I love it!
PS. That little owl (on my blog) did come with the stars.

Diane said...

This turned out great! Thanks for accepting my challenge!

Gina Lindsay said...

Very pretty, I had never thought to paper piece with those quilt blocks. I will definitely be trying that the next time I use this set!

B said...

Oh so pretty! Love the paper pieced quilt blocks! Lovely!

Kay said...

What a beautiful card - I think it conveys exactly what you want it to in a very elegany way. The black butterfly is the perfect touch.
And .... rent Slumdog and let me know what you think!

Katy Myhre said...

Awesome! You did a great job it looks like a real quilt. Makes me want to break out my sewing machine!

The Mama Monkey said...

How cool that your sentiment is just perfect for this card?! I love purple colors you chose!

Val said...

Beautiful Card. What an awesome design. Love the quilt.

Traci M said...

Pretty, I like the paper piecing idea, a lot quicker, I am hoping, than coloring in the squares!! Thanks for sharing, and I agree with the sympathy cards...they do mean so much!!

Katy @ Live Laugh Love Craft said...

Love it!! Great job. :)

Mara Campbell said...

Gorgeous card, I just love the quilt design.

Michelle L. said...

your quilt is gorgeous, PS. I love that Euphoria dp.

Kim said...

This turned out awesome. I am a big fan of paper piecing so I really love your card.

whoistracy said...

This is awesome!! I just love this set and all the cards made with it turn out stunning. No exception here.

Grace said...

PeggySue I soooo love this!!! I have this set and it's so fun to work with but I really love your layout... that framing is gorgeous! You did a great job on this!!!

Unknown said...

wow! must have been a lot of work coordinating the papers with the stamps but this looks awesome. great job with the challenge.

Toni said...

omgoodness Peggy Sue this, like many of your cards is gorgeous.

thinker said...

beautiful work, peggysue! and I love the way you staged it for taking the photo :)

BethieJ said...

Peggysue this is lovely! You did a great job on the challenge!
Have a GREAT weekend!

Suzanne said...

Absolutely beautiful!