Pinterest

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Answers to a couple questions

I don't know how else to do this, so I'll do a post that hopefully answers some questions that I didn't get to in original posts. I don't know if you do this under comments or what, so this is the way I will choose to do so. 

The headache sachet mixture . . . I had an herbalist warn me that herbs were the original medicine of settlers and Native Americans, including other cultures as well, before pharmaceutical companies starting mixing up their own brews, so anything you try herbally with your body you should do with caution. 

That being said, in the headache sachet mixture I mixed one part lavender with a half portion of lemon verbena and pinches of crushed whole cloves until the mixture had just a bit of a clove scent in addition to the other two. As far as the cloves, I would search around until you find them for a good price at the grocery store. As an example, there is a chain that is a half mile from my house, we often walk there if we just need to buy a few things, but they only offer one brand of whole cloves and a tiny jar is $7.99. I go to a different chain store when I take my mom shopping, it is much further away but they sell the same size tiny jar for $1.99. No kidding. So when you buy cloves, shop around. 

The lemon verbena and lavender I found online at www.localharvest.org, an organization dedicated to (I think) helping sell the produce of small operation farmers. I bought the lavender two years ago, intending to make sachets and finally got around to doing so just this last month. That's how poky I am. :) When I bought the lemon verbena it came in larger sized leaves, so I crumpled it with my hands before mixing it with the lavender. 

As far as the fabric, any scraps will do, but be sure to measure it before you stamp it. Iron it after you stamp it to set the ink. Not that you'll be washing a sachet, but it helps anyhow. And I used Palette inks on the fabric, by far the best of the types of inks I tried for fabric stamping. 

Glitter Fishies . . . I used Martha Stewart glitter, but I've used Art Institute and other fine glitters and they work just as well. But one of the important things to have is the Art Institute Dries Clear glue and the applicator tip. I don't know if a LSS sells it, mine doesn't, so I had to order it online. Other glues will dry opaque, not clear, and you need a type that will dry clear so you can see the glitter. 

Hope this helps. 

5 comments:

Grace said...

Thanks Peggy Sue! Those sachets sounded so great! I loved the fish and now am thinking I have to get that set... so thanks for the answers!

Stephanie said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I've bookmarked this post, and I'm planning on making a few of these during my summer vacation starting in a few days :)

Joanne (jojot) said...

what a fabulous 'share' post....you are such a sweetie

Diane Noble said...

Oh thanks for the information! I have an herb and spice place near me so I'm sure I can get them. This is sooo helpful.

I responded to your comment on my blog. Oh, my goodness, you had me rolling off my chair! I offered another technique. You might go there to see if that would be better making the planner more palatable for you!!! LOL You are too funny!

Gina Lindsay said...

Thanks for the additional info! Can't wait to try them.