Pinterest

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Stampin' Sisters in Christ challenge 158 ...handmade

Happy Sunday stampers! It is time for another challenge from Stampin' Sisters in Christ where all of our challenges are based on scripture. This week's hostess is our Lovely Linda who selected this verse from Psa 139:14 I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well. Her challenge is to create a card/project with something handmade on it - could be a flower, stitching, patterned paper - show us your creativity!

And our sponsor this week is A Day for Daisies where you can find some lovely digital images like the one I used in my card. Funny I never used to use digitals and now I find that they are so versatile. 

My handmade item on my card is the cluster of hand-dyed chiffon flowers in the lower left corner. You take white chiffon, and cut it into small circles. Using dye-based ink refills, drop some of the ink on a sheet of wax paper. Then using tweezers and a small candle flame, once the chiffon is dyed you singe the edges of the chiffon to seal it with the candle flame and then spread matching colors of stickles on the very outside edge of the flower. 
I made this card for my daughter at college. She likes mermaids and I do miss her being so far away. 

I am looking forward to reading Linda's thoughts on her chosen verse. I think that verse becomes more of a personal challenge each year a woman ages. I am looking at 50 for my next birthday, no Spring chicken anymore and I never was the lithe, willowy type. Society's ideal of beauty and my looks don't mix, so when I look in the mirror I often forget this verse. I forget that the Lord made me and that His works are marvelous. 

Plus this verse doesn't really mention the outside person, does it? I am fearfully and wonderfully made...doesn't say "I am so gorgeous I'm going to become a model." The inner workings are more important than the outer shell and God makes all of it. When you think of us as a creation right down to the cellular level, the fact that they all need to cooperate to make the body function, that right now as I'm typing this the blood is flowing, oxygen being delivered to the right places, brain cells whirring...the human body is a fearful and wonderful creation. And then you tie emotions into the package; it doesn't stop with the body's functions, which can be recreated by machinery, but we have the capacity to love, to show compassion, to laugh, to grieve...all of which makes us so distinctly human. 

We are fearfully and wonderfully made and when I stop to think about it in the right way, "I know this full well." 

We look forward to seeing your creations this week in our gallery. Thanks for looking. Have a blessed week! 

No comments: