Pinterest

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Paper Pieced Poppy and a blog award

First I have to say thank you to my friend Traci for giving me a blog award, which appears on the right hand column. Thank you so much, you are so sweet! Please visit Traci's blog 'Major Moments' also listed on the right, she has lovely work and some pretty photography from Colorado. (There, I think I did that right . . . I feel I'm getting this blog etiquette down a bit better.)
  Secondly, I have been an absent blogger and commenter for a bit here. Took my mom on a short camping trip to Duluth, Minnesota with the hubby and youngest DD. Duluth is so very pretty, there is lots there to see and do. We enjoyed the fireworks and the symphony and scenery immensely. 
  The next day after coming home I had a wee operation. The pain medication knocked me for a loop for a bit, but I'm feeling so much better today! 
  So I had to get in my card for the second week of the Cornish Heritage Farms challenge, to get that 25% off certificate! LOL! Who wants to miss a week because of a silly operation? Unfortunately, other than a few backgrounders, the poppy is one of the few CHF images I own, so you'll be seeing it a lot . . . although I think I have a different one available for next week's challenge. This challenge was paper piecing and I made myself use my PTI dotted DP . . . agh the agony, what if I run out? I'd have to use one of the hundreds of other sheets of DP in my stash, oh no! :) I really like my cutterbee scissors for this, the tips are so sharp and the scissors just the right size. And so as not to waste a single jot of that patterned paper I punched out circles after the paper piecing to ring the oval and carry some continuity with the color scheme. The chocolate ribbon on the side is the same shade basically as the poppy center, and then I got to use some PTI buttons . . . my new crafting obsession next to patterned paper. Thanks for looking. 
Stamps: Cornish Heritage Farms Poppy, SU Dots and Daisies background, Sweet and Sassy stamps for sentiment
Ink: Black, white craft
Paper: Kraft, white, Marigold Morning, PTI Melon Berry, Spring Moss, and assorted PTI dotted DP shades in melon, lemon tart, avocado, etc. 
Other: ribbon, PTI buttons, white EP, oval nesties and oval punch, circle punch

18 comments:

Linda Rodenberg said...

Very pretty card, PS...did you cut out each piece individually?

BethH said...

THis is soooo pretty, Peggysue. Just beautiful and so detailed. Great job!!! I wondered how you did the scallops behind the main image and the circle punch is a GREAT idea!

B said...

Love the paper piecing on the poppies!!!!

Stephanie said...

that border around your oval is IMPRESSIVE - that must have taken awhile....but what a GREAT effect :)

Grace said...

OH PeggySue this is just yummy! Love the color combo... that chocolate is scrumptious! Love how you did the scalloped oval! Do hope you recover fully and quickly! Hugs and prayers!

IamDerby said...

Hi Peggysue! That salad is by Pioneer woman cooks. Its called my favorite salad ever. You can find it here: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/files/2008/08/asian-noodle-salad.pdf

Ramona said...

That card is simply adorable. I love it. SOOOO prettttty!

JazzyH said...

How pretty! I love the poppies.

Joanne (jojot) said...

you are truly a 'mistress' of paper piecing....love what you di...so cute

Holly said...

Peggysue,

That paper piercing is simply amazing! The color combo is so eye-catching and I love the layout. Glad you trip to Duluth went well (I'm an ol' Minnesota gal myself, and visited there a number of times...)

BethieJ said...

Peggysue that card is sooo CUTE! LOVE it!!! Sounds like a fun trip.. hope your feeling better after your wee operation!

Mara Campbell said...

Your card is beautiful, so many great details!!! I hope you are feeling better today!

Aimes said...

Ooooh what a pretty card! I love that multi-coloured scalloped oval - very clever!
Thanks so much for the sweet comment over on my blog - gave me the perfect link to check out your lovely creations!
Aimes
x

Gina Lindsay said...

Great job paper piecing those flowers. Hope you are soon on the mend.

Kay said...

What a beautiful card! Well worth the DP sacrifice. I'm so glad to know I am not the only mad person who hordes paper instead of using it. I bet it took FOREVER to put together but it was well worth the time.

Leah said...

Love how this came out:) I know what you mean about not wanting to use your "good" stuff! *lol*

Traci M said...

Peggysue, you did it right...you funny lady...I'm talking about the blog award!!
And the card, well it's creative and fun and colorful, looks like a bit of the drugs were left in your system..you do know what poppies are, right??
Love your scallops too, what a great idea!! Thanks for the reminder to get out my PTI buttons, too!
Hugs and hope you're on the mend...I have a card going out to you tomorrow because today I forgot to bring the addresses with me! :)

The Mama Monkey said...

Oh this is beautiful! The colors are amazing. Did you win the gift certificate?!

Glad to hear you are feeling better!