Pinterest

Sunday, May 14, 2017

Mustard Seed Faith Challenge #6 -- God's Lullabyes

Good morning! It is time for a new challenge at Mustard Seed Faith. This week's challenge is to create a baby card or something based on the theme of lullabye, as we look at the book of Psalms and why that book is like a collection of God's lullabyes to his children. This week's thoughts:

Several weeks ago in church the pastor used an illustration in reference to the psalms that I had never thought about before. He said that just as a mother sings lullabyes to her children at night to help them rest when going to bed, the book of psalms can be likened to God’s lullabyes to His children.

It made me realize how often I turn to the psalms for help with any number of wide-ranging emotions. When I am angry or upset at a certain situation I’ll often turn to Psalm 73. It contains a progressive narrative that moved me from indignation and anger to sorrow, thoughts of humility at the great gift God has given me and thankfulness for the close relationship we can claim with His son, Jesus.

During my years as a single mother when I often felt overwhelmed I clung to verse 1 of Psalm 57 (KJ), “In the shadow of thy wings will I make my refuge, until these calamities be overpast.” It made me feel like a little bird, safe under the wings of the One who is always in control, and helped me rest when my mind was whirling late at night with a seemingly impossible list of tasks and responsibilities.

Just the other night when we received some distressing financial news while I prepared dinner I asked my daughter to read to me certain psalms so I could find comfort and focus on the eternal rather than the temporal. I wrote out verse 1 of Psalm 122 (NIV) and pinned it to my refrigerator, “I rejoiced with those who said to me, “Let us go to the house of the Lord.”

What psalms or verse of a psalm speaks to your heart in a situation you’re facing right now? Maybe it is illness, or loneliness or sorrow or perhaps joy. The psalms speak to the full range of emotions and help rock us to sleep with the knowledge that whatever it might be, God is in control. And He loves His children.

This week’s challenge is to make a baby card or a project that speaks to the theme of Psalms as lullabyes. We hope you join us and please, leave us your thoughts on how a psalm has worked in your life.   

Now for my card. I received this adorable stamp as a birthday gift from my dear friend, Traci Major. She used the companion stamp for the little boy for her card, you have to visit her blog to see it! 

I used a new piece of designer paper I picked up at a craft fair in Akron a few weeks ago. I colored the image using copic markers and matched it up with a sentiment from a Papertrey Ink set. This is for a special granddaughter of mine who celebrated her first birthday on May 12th; I get to see her next weekend. She is standing and walking and saying words now...last time I saw her she was still like a loaf of bread, all swaddled up and sleeping peacefully. 

Thanks for looking and have a great week, please come play along at the challenge!

Stamps: Lili of the Valley (image), Papertrey Ink (sentiment) Cutaway Tags: Spring Stamp Set; Paper: Authentique patterned paper, Papertrey Ink white linen, Blueberry sky, Neenah solar white, scrap of pink patterned paper; Ink: Archival black, Ranger distress ink Weathered Wood; Other: My Favorite Things stitched circle dies, Fiskars edge punch, sequins, Copic markers, light gold stickles, perfect pearls in silver. 



3 comments:

Nancy said...

Such a sweet card, Peggysue! That image is adorable! Thank you for sharing, and for the fun challenge! :o)

MariLynn said...

This is just so cute. I love the bit of sparkle on the bow. The roses in the background are so pretty.

Traci M said...

Wonderful devotional and an oh so precious card to go along with it!! Can't tell you how happy it made me to see your stamped card!!