Pinterest

Thursday, March 5, 2009

A Poppy for your Thoughts

Each week Splitcoast Stampers hosts a sketch challenge. This is created for SC218. I bought a few Magnolia stamps before Christmas and particularly liked this poppy, with the botanical, antique book plate feel. Thanks for looking.
How I did it: First I used SU reinkers and an aquapainter to color the poppy, Rose Red for the petals, So Saffron for the flower center and a combination of Certainly Celery and Old Olive for the stem. For the bit of shimmer that you see in poppy leaves I brushed over the image with a bit of twinkling H20s. For the background behind the poppy image I wanted a softer look so I used SU watercolor wonder crayons in a combination of barely banana, more mustard, close to cocoa and chocolate chip. A bit of blue helps highlight the 'P' in the upper corner. I also sponged the edges a little with Vintage Photo. Thanks for stopping by. 
Stamps: Magenta crafty individuals, SU Belle Toile
Cardstock: SU Vanilla, Bordering Blue, Old Olive, confetti white, random burgundy and Deja Views Timeless Collection
Ink: Tsukineko Brilliance Graphic Black, SU Rose Red, Ranger Vintage Photo
Accessories: SU buttons, Cuttlebug vintage die, gold leaf pen, twinkling H20s

9 comments:

Grace said...

This is just stunning! Love how you colored the poppy and the softness of the bg. I have not tried the crayons yet... you certainly achieved a GREAT look!

Unknown said...

Gorgeous! Love the coloring - just lovely!!

Anonymous said...

This is absolutely gorgeous! What a great poppy image!

Anonymous said...

Ok PeggySue.... If we are going to do an Image Swap, I know what image I want from you. I love this Poppy and you did a great job of colouring it. TFS

The Minister's Wife said...

Gorgeous!! You really did an awesome job with this. The coloring is wonderful!! Love how vintage it looks.

Kim said...

Everything about this card is gorgeous!!

Michelle L. said...

So, so pretty, PS. I love the coloring on the poppy.

The Mama Monkey said...

WoW! Your coloring is just stunning! I love your choice of colors as well! Very nice!

Unknown said...

stunning! the deep red of the flowers just makes it stand out beautifully!