Pinterest

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Papertrey Ink October 2011 blog hop




Hey peeps! Time for another PTI blog hop.

Instead of making a card this time, I made a 'whimsy' jar. I thought it would be interesting to recreate the inspiration photo as a pincushion. I originally got the idea for a pincushion whimsy jar from a pinterest photo Melissa Phillips had on her blog of a place in England that sold pincushion jars--basically recycled jam jars with a pincushion on top that makes a neat little sewing jar. Store the pins inside the jar, use the pincushion on top when you're sewing.

Rather than pay someone more than $20 for something I thought I could make myself, I tried it. This is my second attempt at this type of jar, the first one I posted about a week ago and I learned that if you tie the pincushion into sections with thread, like I did to mimic the pumpkin, then it doesn't lie as flush on the jar lid as the version that isn't tied. So just a tip there if you decide you'd like to try making one.

So no stamping on my project, but definitely burnt fingertips from the glue gun.

PTI supplies used were the Beautiful Blooms #3 dies, ric rac die, buttons, ribbon and felt.
Other supplies, fabric from stash, thread, lace, jam jar, pins, pearls, cuttlebug vintage die.

36 comments:

Paula Laird said...

This is FABULOUS!!!

Elena said...

simply amazing!

wendy said...

awesome idea...so cute

Leigh Penner said...

Oh, this is fabulous! I love this idea!!

Terri said...

What a great idea. Love it!

Kara said...

really beautiful!!

MariLynn said...

What an adorable idea. Thanks for sharing!!!

Scrappin4kim(Jennifer) said...

This IS adorable!! What a cute idea!!

Michelle said...

What a great way to make buttons even cuter, and meet the PTI Blog Hop challenge too! Very creative!

June K said...

Oh, so cute. I want one.

Traci M said...

I love it!! Did you make your own stick pins...and if so, what do you use? I have pins,but they are plain. Do you use beads from the jewelry department? I really like your pumpkin!!

Wendy ten Hove said...

Oh, gosh, wauw!!! This is soooo amazing!! Love it! What a perfect pumpkin that is!! Fun!!!
Hugs, Wendy

Joyce said...

This is so wonderful. I love the entire concept, and especially how you really made the pincushion look like a pumpkin. Great unique take on the challenge.

Anonymous said...

What an amazing project!

Teresa said...

What a cute idea. I would have to put buttons in the jar.

Cammie said...

This is AMAZING! Definitely something that would sell for a nice sum in a wonderful little boutique. I am in awe of your creative talent and I am pinning this! Hugs, Cammie

@JoyceCasaldi said...

simply adorable!

Kay D said...

Oh, my! This is beyond gorgeous, just wowza! I WANT ONE!!!
You need to show me how to make one! ;)

Suzanne said...

Wow! One of the best projects all day! Love this!

Veronica Z said...

This is just SO cute, and so clever! It would make such a sweet gift. I love it!

Becky said...

oh my goodness, this is beautiful!

Rema DeLeeuw said...

Love that pumpkin pin cushion! Great idea. Glad to see that someone made some other project than just a card....

Lorraine said...

OMG, how beautiful & creative is this?! I love it!

carol (krillsister) said...

Wow! I am amazed when someone tries something totally different. Great job. Love your fabric.

Linda Suarez said...

Very cute!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely gorgeous, and it will be so much fun to use!

Ann said...

can I just say WOW! Its gorgeous!

Gayatri said...

AMAZING! love all the stitching and details. Great work, Peggy!

Chunyuan said...

fabulous take of the challenge.

Marlena M. said...

I love this! Sorry about your fingers.I find it hard not to mess with the glue too. ;)

Helen F. said...

Beautiful project! Perfect for the PTI Challenge :)

Kelly S. said...

Peggysue, that pin cushion is a-dor-able! I just love how it looks tucked in the top of the button jar! Such a sweet gift idea!

Ally said...

Love it! What a fun project, and so perfect for this challenge. Very nice. ;-)

Sharron said...

Wow--what a fabulous creation! Your pumpkin pincushion is adorable. Love it!

Jeanne said...

How amazing and fun your challenge is!!!!! Love the pumpkin and the function of your pin cushion...and a great way to save buttons!

Creative Grammie said...

Oh my, I heart that jar! What a fabulous idea Peggysuez! TFS